Eating Correct Food Portions Help With Weight Loss/Diet


When I decided it was time for me lose weight, I started keeping track of everything I ate. I was very diligent about adding up the calories. I was so proud of myself for keeping such good track of my food and drink intake.

I’d add up my figures at the end of each day and finally have a grand total at the end of the week. According to my figures, I should have been losing at the minimum two pounds a week. It wasn’t happening. It didn’t take me long to get discouraged on my weight loss journey.

I figured out why I wasn’t losing two pounds a week. My calculation of what was a portion size was way off the mark. I wasmaking good food choices but I was eating more than what the National Institutes of Health described as a portion size.

If you use the following list as a guideline when eating, you will be able to successfully track your calorie intake:

  1. ONE CUP of PASTA IS = A WOMAN’S CLENCHED FIST.
  2. A HALF CUP OF VEGETABLES = HALF A TENNIS BALL.
  3. ONE TABLESPOON IS = TWO THUMBS PRESSED TOGETHER. (thumbs up)
  4. ONE TEASPOON IS = A THUMB TIP.
  5. ONE FRUIT SERVING IS = ONE TENNIS BALL.
  6. THREE OUNCES OF MEAT IS = A DECK OF CARDS.

It takes awhile to get acustom to using the correct method of portion size. It’s kind of like bowling, the more you practice, the better you get. I’ve started using smaller plates so it looks like I’m eating more. When growing up, my sisters and I were not allowed up from the table until or plates were clean. I have retained that mentality into adulthood which is partly what has caused me to be overweight. It only makes sense for me to use smaller plates….I can have a clean plate without excess calories.

You know the old saying…..What ever works

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to select the best Home Gym Equipment?

Basic Health Tips

Health Facts - Pneumothorax Collapsed Lung Definition Symptoms Causes Treatments